Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Finding Songs

I was asked to make a list of Rob's favorite songs. Even after two years of being apart, I still remember. Led Zeppelin - Tangerine. Ben Harper - Gold to Me. Simon and Garfunkel - Homeward Bound. And now songs mean a little bit more, right? Every line has unsung meaning hidden in the space between one note and the next. 'Home... where my love lies waiting silently for me. Like emptiness and harmony, I need someone to comfort me. Homeward bound.' How the hell am I going to make it through that?

Even the sound of Simon and Garfunkel feels like Rob.

There was a song he used to love. Sweet River Roll by WaterDeep. "Henry... he's got a tumor in his head. He wakes up sweating every morning after dreaming he was dead. He used to think that life was boring but now that's not the case. He turns to his wife in the evening and says, 'Honey, I'm afraid I'm going to lose this race.' Sweet River Roll, roll over me. Sweet River Roll, all over me." We thought he had beat it.

What is it about music that grabs us? That sends us head over heels? Or ass over teacup, like Rob used to say.

No comments: