Sunday, January 18, 2009

Eating Miso

"I really don't know what eating miso has to do with marrying a Japanese guy."

I love my friend, Mya. I miss her so much. But I have to say, I love her stories. She's gone to Japan to teach English. And her daily life is an adventure. Traveling to the grocery store, folding up her recyclables, getting asked out on dates. I love it. This experience has got to be growing her in so many areas. I am envious of it. Perhaps envious enough to leave this place and head off into a different place to throw myself into the current of living.

She has a date this week with a handsome Japanese man. I am so curious about this. I wonder where they will go and what their conversation will be like. The language barrier (should I really call it that?... maybe the language challenge) is so thrilling. I am in love with places in which multiple languages are heard. I'm not sure why it is so amazing to me. To sit in a conversation where patches and pieces of Japanese and English are being used is riveting! I feel even more excited about this same situation with Spanish and English. I love it.

I want to be there when Mya talks about life in the States or when she tries to explain American culture. She's so good at making things understandable. She is going to have a great time.

1 comment:

Mya said...

whaat? i cannot believe this is your blog of the day! and i think it's hilarious that you are so riveted by the language difficulties...you talk about it like it's this patchwork quilt that will be hung at the entrance of the school before the next IB Authorization visit! ;D LOL. i think it's mostly terrifying b/c i really do forget how to say stuff when i most want to remember how to say stuff! how's your spanish?