Thursday, August 7, 2008

Consumerism

So, I watched TV today. I had four choices: soap opera, soap opera, soap opera, or Antiques Roadshow. So I watched Antiques Roadshow. They went into this collector's house and he was talking about all his amazing priceless collections. He has these pillars with large marble orbs on top. He has dishes that are shaped like shells and vases of a similar shape. Almost every inch of his house is covered with paintings or dishes. He has bought entire pieces of furniture to house his collections and he has tables he's bought to display his collection of boxes. His bathroom wall is covered in mounted decorative plates.

Really? Really? Do people really enjoy this? Does it make their lives more vibrant? I suppose the finding is somewhat exciting. Finding something rare and the bidding wars. That seems kind of interesting, I suppose. But to actually own it? That would drive me nuts. I can barely stand the amount of things I own now. This man could fill truckloads with the amount of shit he owns. He paid $10,000 for a set of dishes. And this set was comprised of TWO dishes!!!

I myself, am a slight junkie for a beautiful set of dishes. But what I like about it is when I prepare an amazing meal and I set the table and my friends are all around smiling and drinking and laughing. And it all makes a beautiful memory. You know, I'd set a match to that place in no time flat and I wouldn't shed a tear. How do people get that way? I wonder if they have any perspective at all. I would wonder what my simple $10,000 gift could have done for someone who is struggling to pay for an education. Or for a little family who is fighting to pay their mortgage. I wonder if I'll be able to make those decisions someday... "Set of dishes with painted insects... or amazing vacation for me and my family... or give someone else a foot to stand on..."

Disney World... you know what I saw there? A Christmas ornament. A Mickey Christmas ornament in the shape and color of a Jack O'Lantern. Who wants that?!? Insane.

No comments: